Masters of Business Administration (MBA) is a postgraduate program that will make you develop theoretical and practical skills in various aspects of business like Finance, Marketing, Operations, Human Resource, IT, etc.
Majority of the B-schools have a General Management program in which the first year is about getting acquainted with the basics of all the various streams of management. In the second year, the professional choose the specialization and the electives which he/she intends to take.
However, if the professional has an interest in one specific area of management, a specialized MBA can be pursued within that particular specialization.
The most significant question that should be the primary step towards the MBA exam preparation is – “Why MBA?” It is also the most overlooked question throughout the prep. Usually, there is barely any clarity in an aspirant’s mind about what he/she is expecting from his/her MBA degree.
What is the best time to do an MBA?
Well, there is no such best time to do an MBA. It differs from candidate to candidate. You need to feel motivated to pursue this discipline. Sometimes, the candidate thinks that it is beneficial to take prior work experience before pursuing an MBA.
Here it is vital to break another myth that having work experience is an essential factor to get into the B-Schools. The weightage for work-ex is not very high (only up to 10-15%) and that too in very few B-school entrances.
However, if the candidate possesses work experience, it would help by giving him a perspective on corporate processes and scenarios.
How will MBA boost up your Career?
- From four digit to six-digit salary: Everyone has a dream of getting a six-digit salary. MBA can fulfill this dream as there is no denying the fact that an MBA degree from a good B-school brings with itself lucrative pay packages. For many years the Top Colleges for MBA in India have maintained the legacy with the best faculty and high salary packages being offered to its students.
- From local to global opportunities: An MBA expands the spectrum of job opportunities and job profiles for a professional at a worldwide level. An MBA degree from the leading B-schools gives a person the credibility to work worldwide. There are some amazing Top MBA Colleges in World, for eg. London Business School, Harvard, INSEAD to name the few.
- From IT to Management Consultant: Most of the MBA aspirants are IT professionals, and the main reason they state for doing MBA is that they got bored from their jobs in IT sector. There is not much learning opportunities and diversity at work.
- From Entry Level Executive to Senior Level Management: In the corporate world, everyone is looking for growth opportunities which seems very less if you are working at the lower level in an organization. MBA is a catalyst to move you up on the corporate ladder.
- From Static to Dynamic Skills: A good MBA program imparts not only knowledge but also right business expertise to the student for him to become more accessible to changes in the world and better equipped with problem-solving tactics.
How to get into an MBA?
To pursue MBA programme, you need to possess a graduate degree from a recognized university.
MBA entrance exams have been changing in some way or the other every year. But still, a mixture of strategy, planning, and implementation always helps in scoring well in these test.
Candidates are tested on their Quantitative, Reasoning and Verbal skills. Time management is an essential ingredient to crack these exams.
Following are the Entrance Exams to get into MBA programme:
IIMs conduct CAT every year, and over 200 Institutions accept the CAT score.
XLRI, Jamshedpur on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes conduct XAT, and over 100 Institutions accepts the XAT score.
AICTE conducts CMAT for admission across Management Institutions in India.
The Symbiosis society conducts SNAP as a first entry requirement for all the B schools under Symbiosis International University.
All India Management Association conducts MAT exams four times a year – February, May, September, and December and over 600 institutions accept MAT score.
- Exams Conducted by Individual institutes:
Various B-schools conduct the following stand-alone tests for admission of candidates into their MBA programmes:
- IIFT entrance test for IIFT New Delhi and Kolkata.
- TISSNET for Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai offering specialization in a range of areas from HRM & IR to Social Entrepreneurship to Women empowerment, etc.
- NMAT is a computer-administered test conducted by Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). Various institutes like SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Alliance University, SRM University, BML Munjal University, and VIT University, etc. accept NMAT
How to prepare for MBA Entrance Exams?
MBA Exam coaching helps you overcome many weak areas. Choose for the best coaching for preparation, if you wish to prepare for MBA entrance exams with the help of coaching.
Some of the best coaching institutes are:
To sum up, an MBA is a professional qualification designed to equip the students with an understanding of all the primary functions of a business. In today’s era, an MBA is not just a desirable attribute, but an essential qualification for every business across industries.
If you possess an MBA Degree and want to explore management opportunities into various domains, you can log on to:
“If you are interested in business, or likely to be in business, an MBA is handy” — Warren Buffett
Author: Manish Gandhi