Hotel management demands a range of responsibilities. As the world of hospitality continues to expand, it is one the world’s fastest-growing industries. Enter an industry that continues to grow and evolve. It is for people who love teamwork and face-to-face interaction.
A hospitality management degree is a chance to follow career interests at any location, create remarkable experiences and provide you with a highly rewarding career.
Scope of Hotel Management
- A hotel management degree prepares you for a successful career and a number of high-level positions.
- The hotel industry is one of the most expansive and diverse, which means you’ll never be limited in your job search.
- Those who are working in hotel management know the latest trends and what today’s customer wants.
- In some cases, you may find yourself dealing with a lot more day-to-day tasks than other career options, providing more learning opportunities.
- Here you will learn all the core departments works (Front Office, Housekeeping, Food production and Food and Beverages Service), which enables you to learn specific skills, which further help you in other areas.
Qualification and Skills required
Minimum qualification required to go for a course (certificate, diploma or bachelors) in hotel management is 10+2 with 50% marks. For direct entry, the vacancies are generally advertised on institutes’ website, career sites, and in the newspapers.
Duration of certificate courses is six months to one year. Bachelor and diploma courses are of duration one and half to three years. Those with graduation can go for post graduate diploma courses the duration of which is one year.
In government institutes, entrance tests are conducted yearly. Private institutes also conduct tests of their own, the pattern of which is almost the same.
Hotel management students should have excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and self-discipline. One must be polite in nature, should have the patience to tackle the guest and deal guest criticism even when you know you are right. Most importantly willing to work hard even at odd hours and yet be cheerful with a sweet smile.
A hotel management student has a very wide scope other than hotels because of their professional skills as well as personal attributes. A student who has earned a degree or diploma in hotel management can work in the below-mentioned sectors:
- Club Management
- Hotels and Restaurants
- Hospital Administration and Catering
- Airline Catering and Cabin Services
- Guest Houses
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Forest Lodges
- Hotel & Catering Institutes
- Catering departments- shipping companies, banks, armed forces, and railways
- Hotel & Tourism Associations
Institutes offering courses
There are various options for those who want to pursue a career in hotel management. Following courses are open to all students and these are relatively easier to get into. But there are specialized courses like full-time MBA in hotel management and diploma courses.
Duration: 18-month (1 and half year), 3 years (multiple courses)
Eligibility: between 18 to 20 years of age and have completed or are about to complete Class XII.
Duration: 3 years (multiple courses)
Eligibility: Between 17 to 22 years of age and completed or are about to complete Class XII.
Duration: 3 years, 4 years (multiple courses)
Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: 10+2 system of Senior Secondary examination or its equivalent with English as one of the subjects.
Give yourself a limitless sky for your dreams by choosing hotel management as your career. Realize your dreams and grab the opportunity to show love and care through your profession.
Author: Swarajita Roy